FABRIC CLEANING CODES
For Normal Stains:
- Remove any loose dirt. Prepare a mixture of cold to lukewarm water (do not exceed 100° F) and mild soap.
- Rub in mixture with a soft brush and allow the mixture to thoroughly soak into the fabric.
- Rinse well with water and air dry. Do not machine dry.
- Remove as much surface dirt as possible.
- Soak fabric for 1 hour in a mixture of 1 gallon cold water, 1/2 cup bleach, and 1/2 cup mild soap.
- Rub in mixture with a soft brush and rinse thoroughly with cold to lukewarm water and air-dry. Never use water over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not machine dry.
- Detergents can be used on Fortress Acrylic without harm; it may however remove some of the water and stain resistant properties. If this is important to you, a simple spraying of a post cure fluorocarbon will restore these properties. Please follow the instructions on the package. These sprays can be obtained through a dry cleaning supply store or stores that sell marine related products.
If it is Fortress Home Fabric...
There are two basic types of staining substances, liquid and viscous.
- Liquid Stains: This would include water, coffee and wine.
- Viscous Stains: This would include Ketchup and Mustard and anything else of this consistency.
- Difficult Stains:
Take a paper towel or a clean absorbent cloth. Use it at the edge of the spill to soak up all of the liquid. After this, any remnant of the stain still visible on the fabric should be wiped with a wet lint free cloth. Clean the fabric gently from the edge towards the center. Let the area air dry.
The first step is to take a flat instrument like a butter knife. Use it to remove the excess contaminant. Work slowly and carefully. This is very important, as wiping an entire “blob” of a viscous contaminant can actually drive it into the fabric. Next take a wet, lint free cloth and slowly clean the fabric from the edge to the center.
Several factors can make a stain more difficult to remove.
1. The surface area of the stain. An entire bowl of chili will be more of a challenge than a dime size drip of mustard.
2. The color of the fabric that has been stained. A white surface will be more critical than a midnight color.
3. When the stain has been allowed to dry.
If the spill is a viscous material and it has dried, first use the butter knife to break up the crusted area. Remove as much of the spill as possible this way, then follow the procedure below.
Mix a solution of 1/4 cup mild detergent with 1 gallon of lukewarm water. Fill a small spray bottle with this solution. Spray the affected area thoroughly. Then take a soft bristled brush, a toothbrush will work fine, and gently scrub the area. After this take a wet cloth and clean the area. Repeat this step until all of the soap residue is removed. Let the cleaned area air dry.
Note: Keep the cleaning to the affected area. For example, if the stain is 1/2 inch in diameter, don’t clean a 4 inch diameter area.
If it is Fortress Vinyl Fabric...
- Liquids can be blotted off the fabric face preventing staining.
- Remove water-soluble stains with mild soap and water. Use a clean cloth to wipe. Clear remaining soap with a clean cloth.
If it is Fortress Marine Fabric...
- FORTRESS MARINE is manufactured to be cleaned easily. For general care, brush off loose dirt and gently hose down. To clean stubborn stains, prepare a solution of 1 cup of Bleach, 1'4 cup mild soap/household detergent to 1 gallon of water. Gently wipe away spill, allow stain to soak in solution for at least 15 minutes before gently wiping away. Be careful to not use the solution on any thread or exposed parts. There can be no assurance that the foregoing cleaning instructions will successfully remove all stains.
- BIMINI is manufactured with easy to clean properties. For general care, brush off loose dirt and gently hose down. To clean stubborn stains, prepare a solution of 1 cup of bleach and ¼ cup of mild soap (such as Woolite or Dawn dishwashing liquid) per gallon of clean water. The solution should be sprayed on (do not soak) the non-coated side and gently brushed. Do not keep the solution on the fabric for more than 2 minutes before rinsing with cool water.